BZZZT! WRONG!

The spring kit is NOT an “aftermarket cop out”.  It was an option from Mercedes
for cars used in heavier service, such as taxis, and was delivered that way if
the car was ordered for that option.  There were two different springs
available, one that was harder and increased ground clearance, one that was
softer.

From my W110 service manual:

110 329 05 01 - “intended for vehicles with increased ground clearance"
110 329 04 01 - softer spring for lighter loaded applications

The use of the spring predates the hydrocompensator, as the basic swing axle
design (starting with a spring and not a hydrocompensator) began in 1953 and
went through 1973.  The Pontons used the swing axle and it had a spring.

Where’s Peter?  He knows all this stuff.

-D