This is weird.  I ordered some new bulb socket connectors, supposedly ceramic, for the SEC since both of the old ones had melted.  Got those soldered on no problem.

Go to put the bulbs back in the headlamp housing and they won't go in right.   I'm sure they were in there OK when I took them out (turns out I didn't have to, should have left well enough alone...).  The bulb holders have 3 little slots on them and the left side housing has 3 little tabs (one is missing but that's OK), 2 of the three look to be slightly bigger than the other one as do the slots on the holders.  The right side seems to have 4 tabs in the housing and of course the bulb holder will not go in there.  All the replacements seem to have 3 slots, which the ones that I have do, but I absolutely cannot get them to go in and seat over those little tabs.

This is really weird, the bulbs/holders should just slide right in then the round holder thing goes over the bulb holder, 3 tabs go into slots and then you rotate the holder to tighten it down. Without the bulb holder fully seating this thing won't go into the slots so it can be turned to tighten it and hold the bulb in.

I have no idea what to do here other than just grind off the tabs in the headlamp backing that the bulbs go into, they don't seem to be absolutely necessary, they just keep the bulb in sorta the right orientation though I'm not sure that makes a big difference to anything.

Looking at new bulbs, here is another thing too.  A single bulb Amazon Prime is $10.35 and a two pack is $31.96.  I could buy 3 singles for the price of two.  Whussup with that?

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9004-X-tremeVision-Upgrade-Headlight/dp/B016ZY470I/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1529185676&sr=8-24&keywords=1991+mercedes+560sec+headlight+bulb

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9004XVB2-X-tremeVision-Upgrade-Headlight/dp/B01C5QY6TC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1529185676&sr=8-7&keywords=1991+mercedes+560sec+headlight+bulb

I guess I don't need any new bulbs since the others seemed to work, just the sockets melted.

--
--FT