Well, I just found a 1978 300CD that's also on the list of possibilities. It has 265K miles, no working glow plugs, but it has a good, straight body. The guy isn't a mechanic, so he gave up on it. Unlike the experience with the 220 gasser (getting yelled at when I tried to test the starter), I get to hook my auto zone super cranker battery up to it to see if I can get some go out of it. I know that there's a way to hook up jumpers from the glow plugs to the battery to get glow function. I believe that the procedure involved a jumper from 5 to positive and another from 1 to negative. If this is wrong, please feel free to correct me. I think this one's looking better than the 240D!

Kevin in Hillsboro Oregon
1973 220D