I believe a full 55 gal barrel might exceed it's structural limits, but
only because the rim of the barrel would be the only contact area vs the
weight load.
It might work if you set the barrel on a piece of plywood to distribute the
load beyond the rim of the barrel.

With a load of dirt or rock, the weight is distributed across a much wider
area [although perhaps the same weight] against the "tarp" which slides
across the bed of the truck as you wind the handle.

I've used one for landscape rock... worked really well.