Oh man. Yesterday the idjit across the street is working on another crappy
Honda. They don't start work until 4 or 5 and figure they'll work well into the
night keeping all the neighbors awake.At 10:30 I go over, they're trying to
pull the outer bearing race from the front hub. Funny, I'd figured that car
would have a unit bearing in the front hub but whatever, theres clearly a race
there.They're heating it with a jewelry torch, on the wrong side. They're
heating where they've already pulled the inner race, nowhere near the outer
race. "Heating" might be a generous term, they're going so slowly that once
they get halfway around its cooled off where they started.
They've got a "press" which is a big c clamp sort of thing, its not mounted to
anything, or lubed at all so they're really limited in how much force they can
apply.
I didn't look super close but I don't think they were supporting the hub right
so when they used their press or beat on it with a hammer I think they were
just pushing against themselves.
Meanwhile the whole crowd, theres like 10 of them, are puffing on their vapes
like drug addicts, which they probably are. I don't know how anybody stands
that stuff, it gives me a headache.

I've got some stuff to do today, if he shows up before I'm done I'll run a bead
of weld across the race, or cut it with the rotary tool, or a hacksaw or heat
it with a real torch and use an actual chisel to beat the race out. I've pulled
races from cars that were twice as old with five times the miles...

At 11pm I suggested "The neighbors want to sleep, its time to make less noise."
which put an end to mechanic-ing for the evening.

-Curt

    On Friday, August 10, 2018, 12:58:29 AM EDT, clay monroe via Mercedes