Nope - the lead screw does not turn - nothing does when you engage the
drive. I'm referring to the basic feed operation of moving the tool for
turning, not cutting threads, which is what the split nuts do.
I now have the information I need from the renovating book to tear into it
and figure out what's wrong. I suspect some worn shafts have allowed two
set of gears to engage at the same time which is not supposed to happen,
but inspection will reveal all!

There are three inverted V ways and one flat way. This is a SBL 10k model.

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 1:36 PM G Mann via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

> If I understand your problem description, seems likely the split nut that
> engages the lead screw has destroyed it's self...
>
> Pretty common issue on older lathes. When you engage the carriage drive, it
> goes "crunch... crunch... crunch" while the nut tries to engage the Acme
> thread of the drive screw.... Take a close look at the condition of the
> lead screw while you are at it... Usually the wear area is in the 6 inches
> from the chuck, since that's were the carriage gets most use...
>
> Question:  Is it a flat way lathe?
>
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 11:04 AM, archer75--- via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 05 Sep 2018 21:08:37 -0500
> > Curley McLain via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > > If the ways need to be ground, I may have a way grinder for it.   I
> have
> > > a grinder attachment from something, but not sure what it was made for.
> > > May be Claussen.

> > wonder if
> > gashing

> > Here are some rebuild kits and instructions which might give you some
> idea
> > of parts needed and cost:
> >
> > https://www.ebay.com/bhp/south-bend-lathe-parts
> >
> > ---