IN the local ACE Hardware here in Hawthorne they sell the small diamond strike anywhere matches. The heads are green and white but they work just fine on either the box or anywhere else you want to strike them. Something like $1.50 for a pack of 10 boxes with 32 matches each. You said you don't like them but they work great for me for a one-match light of the barbie. Then again I'm not trying to start forest fires or funeral pyres, though some say the cigars I smoke might as well be that.

MG

Curley McLain via Mercedes wrote:
Can anybody find real patches for sale? In the past few years real strike anywhere matches have disappeared in this part of the country. We used to get Ohio Blue Tip, but I'd guess the greenie weenies put that out of business. Full size Diamond and small Diamond "safety" (strike on the box, if you are lucky, it might light) matches were the replacement.
These were replaced by some kind of greenie weenie "environmental match."
the last ones we found that were not greenie weenie matches were the small "safety" matches made in some turd world place like veetnam. The record so far was 6 of 7 broke when trying to scratch them on the box. A LOT of them break before lighting. They are sawed crossgrain rather than split.

Such a simple thing, but yet now impossible to find.

We tried "outdoor stores" too, but their matches are over a buck each. Sold in packs of 5 for something like $5.98. Not buying that!

Do they sell real matches in Maine or in Canada?