my 300 CD did the same thing when I got it it was a
really really bad diff.  It literally had almost 120
degrees of play. not a prettty sight and not only did
I have to replace the diff but also the 1/2 axels as
well because 1 was stuck on the diff and would not
come off no matter how much you beat pounded or heated
it up. my indie said he'd never seen one that bad that
didn't basically explode the diff.

Eric
crunched 85 300CD 93K