Most of the time that works.  I've found, though, that UPS is
occasionally capable of destroying the most carefully packed items.

You are absolutely correct.

A friend who used to do seasonal work for UPS
during the holiday season had some stories about how he'd see people
throw packages several feet, kick them around, etc.

If you remember the Samsonite suitcase commercial, with the monkeys handling the suitcases, that is pretty close. That said, percentage wise very few packages are lost or destroyed. UPS automatically insures packages for up to $100. If they had to pay too many claims, they wouldn't be around very long. They have been in business since 1907.

That said, UPS's website specifically says you can ship
irregularly-shaped metal items without boxing them, if you put cardboard
over any sharp or protruding ends.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. I WORK for UPS and I see this stuff EVERY DAY. If you ship auto body parts this way they are more likely to get there intact than if you wrap them like china. If you want to be ABSOLUTELY SURE that your stuff gets there intact with UPS, insure it for $5000. That will put it into the "High Value" category, and it WILL get treated with kid gloves.

Rick Knoble
'85 300 CD
'87 190 DT