> Randy wrote:

> I have a battery that may be junk. I had it on the charger one
> afternoon this weekend at  a 2 Amp rate. It did not come up to
> the point where the charger light turned from red to green

Is that a Red Green reference?  *smiles*

Sounds to me like maybe it needs de-sulfating/equalizing.  This
effectively means a controlled over-charge.  It will shorten the
life of the battery - but if it's junk (or nearly so) that's not
much of a risk.

But if you don't have a way to set the charge 16 V, it may not be
practical.

Here is the text of an article on the topic.

~'^`~   ~'^`~   ~'^`~   ~'^`~   ~'^`~   ~'^`~   ~'^`~   ~'^`~
from https://shop.pkys.com/Battery-Equalization_ep_44.html

Battery Equalization

Equalizing lead acid batteries is a process designed to
de-sulphate the battery plates by carrying out a controlled
overcharge. Battery plates tend to acquire a sulphate coating
over time which then hinders the chemical action between the
electrolyte and the plate.  By equalizing the battery in this
controlled overcharge the outer layer of the plate, including
the sulphate coating, is blown off, thereby rejuvenating the
battery and allowing all the surface area of the plates to
interact with the electrolyte.  It also causes the electrolyte
to bubble and in wet cell batteries this mixes up the acid and
distributes it evenly throughout the cell.

Recommendations on the frequency at which equalization be
carried out vary from monthly to once or twice a year.  Some
manufacturers only recommend it be carried out when necessary,
(Trojan), or once every six months or as necessary, (Rolls).
My personal experience is that equalizing the batteries is a
rather tedious, worrisome and smelly process so once or twice
a year is more than enough.  I particularly recommend it
though for boats that rarely come to the dock.  Such vessels
get their batteries fully charged less often and seem to
report tired batteries on a more frequent basis than boats
that get fully charged on a regular basis.

Equalizing the batteries is a tool that can be used to
rejuvenate tired batteries or to prevent batteries from
becoming tired.  As a tool it is a double edged sword of
course, this removal of the outer layer of the plates reduces
their size and volume and thus their longevity. The material
removed will fall to the bottom and may eventually short out
the plates. I find that the best way to decide on whether to
equalize and how often is to consult the information from the
relevant battery manufacturer.  You will find different
opinions even among battery manufacturers on the way
equalization is to be carried out.

Victron Amp Hour MeterIf you are reading this article it is
probably because you are having battery trouble. One of the
best ways of heading off trouble in the future is to install
an amp hour meter to give you a better idea of how your
batteries are performing.  Scroll to the end of this article
for more information.

Equalizing wet cell batteries

1. The batteries must be fully charged to begin with.

2. Disconnect all loads. You are going to allow the battery
   voltage to rise higher than normal; to 15 or 16 volts for a
   12 volt battery bank. You don't want to damage sensitive
   electronic equipment that might be connected.

3. Remove any hydrocaps fitted to the cells

4. Connect the charger and set it to the equalizing voltage.
   (For Trojan wet cell batteries the recommended equalizing
   voltage is 15.5 volts for a 12 volt bank, for Rolls the
   equivalent voltage is 15.5 - 16 volts)

5. Batteries will begin gassing and bubbling vigorously

6. Don't allow the battery temperature to rise much above 115
   degrees F and never above 125 degrees.  Measure from a
   center cell.

7. Take the specific gravity at hourly intervals

8. Equalization is complete when the specific gravity no
longer rises.

For Rolls batteries the end of the instructions were more specific

9. If severely sulfated, it may take many hours for the
   specific gravity to rise.

10. Once the specific gravity begins to rise the bank voltage
    will most likely drop or the charging current will
    increase. The charging current may need to be lowered if
    temperature approaches 125F (46C). If the charge
    controller was by passed, it should now be used or put
    back in line.

11. Continue measuring the specific gravity until 1.265 is
    reached.

12. Charge for another 3 hours. Add water to maintain the
    electrolyte above the plates.

13. Allow bank to cool and check and record the specific
    gravity of each cell. The gravities should be 1.265 0.005
    or lower. Check the cell electrolyte levels and add water
    IF necessary.

Equalizing AGM and other sealed batteries

Equalizing AGM and other sealed batteries is a bit more tricky. The
bubbling electrolyte results in some loss; electrolyte vapor exits the
vent caps. However because there is no way to replace the lost
electrolyte it is obvious that a different strategy is required. I
couldn't find any manufacturer that recommended equalizing Gel
batteries. These batteries are highly sensitive to over-charge and
equalizing is not going to work for them. However although I did find
a manufacturer that definitely did not recommend equalizing their AGM
batteries (Trojan) I did find at least one manufacturer (Lifeline)
that did recommend equalizing their AGM batteries. Lifeline use the
term "Conditioning". They say this should only be done when the
battery is showing loss of performance due to having spent extended
time in a partial or low state of charge, or that don't often get
charged above 90%  (Cruisers that never come to the dock please take
note!) Lifeline AGM instructions:

To apply a conditioning charge, first go through the normal charge
cycle to bring the battery to full charge. The conditioning charge
should then be applied by charging for 8 hours. At 77F (25C), the
conditioning voltage should be set at 2.58 VPC (15.5 volts for a 12
volt battery). The conditioning voltage at other temperatures is shown
in Table 5-2. By using the temperature compensated conditioning
voltage, batteries that are not in controlled temperature environments
may be conditioned without bringing them to room temperature. If
temperature compensation is not available, it is best to bring the
battery as close to room temperature as possible before applying the
conditioning charge.