SO, why are some of you MB purists, who insist that the MB engineers know
best, trying to disregard the wisdom of those who designed and built these
engines by running lower than specified octane fuels in them? Just doesn't
make any sense at all. Why not go ahead and turbo charge all those NA
engines while you're at it? New higher or lower compression pistons, build
headers, etc.?
Yes, premium costs a bit more, but will it really bankrupt you to "do it
right"? You are driving a premium car in every way - treat it as such.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 10:54 PM Peter Frederick via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> My 280 SE 4.5 would audibly knock on midgrade and rattled distressingly on
> regular.  Premium only for sure, else you burn the spark plugs up, and risk
> actual detonation and holes drilled in the pistons on the highway.
>
> My TE is unhappy on midgrade.  Toasted plugs, burns the electrodes off.
>
> On cars with knock sensors, using lower grade fuel will result in retarded
> timing to reduce knock, and that kills performance and milage.  No burned
> plugs, but at the expense of driveability.
>
> Peter

OK Don

for themselves."

2013 F150, 18 mpg