yes. The fact that the lights dim with the starter switch is on indicates a bad starter. I just changed the starter on our 300D (124) as PM, and it was due, as the new starter works way better.

The connecter is a possibility as is the small wire on the starter. If you recall my post, the terminal had broken on the solenoid, then welded itself back together arcing. When I went to hook the terminal on the rebuilt starter, the ring fell off the terminal.

For your perusal, here is the prior post., subject: Today's fun

The 300D had a fit on Mon. where it would not start. no click, nothing, but plenty of battery. It also did not click with the auxiliary starter button. After it cooled for 2 hours, it magically started. The starters on these have a tendency to just quit without warning, unlike older cars. This starter was a $25 junkyard special several years ago, so I figured to be safe, I should get a starter rebuilt and ready. It was ready yesterday afternoon. ($140) Ouch, almost as much as a bosch reman., but it was here! So, I took the wires off, took out the old starter, installed the new one, hooked up the battery cable. When I put the screw in the eye of the small wire, I thought the wire came off the screw, but when I tried to put the eye back on the screw, there was no eye on the wire. The eye was on the screw. Evidently, the eye had vibrated enough in 31 years and 320,000 miles that it has broken off the collar. So, I cut off the old collar, stripped the wire and put on a new eye.

I'm glad I decided to go ahead and change the working starter out for the rebuilt. otherwise, I'd have been chasing an intermittent for who knows how long. It appears that the eye welded itself back to the collar until I went to put the wire back on the new starter. I've had the wire break at the terminal before at 25+ years, but I don't remember the eye breaking off the factory terminal. I guess they just don't build em like they used to! Gotta love the simple fixes!

Someday, I will check brushes and bearings in the starter I took out, fix what is needed and put it on the shelf.

Meade Dillon via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 1, 2018 at 8:25 PM
I've had starters die like that, go from working just fine for one start
and then totally dead the next attempted start. However, if the terminal
connection is loose, it might have been on just enough to work once, but
driving the car caused it to come loose so now there is not enough contact.
Max
Charleston SC

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 9:09 PM Karl Wittnebel via Mercedes <