I had an 87 Blazer I loved but it rusted out in the rear after I moved to Houston from Boston area and the rear tailgate would no longer open.  I had put a new engine in it, which I pulled along with the tranny and have in the garage, and gave the hulk to some guy I knew who was into cars.  Engine had the TBI which was somewhat problematic toward the end.  I found some app a guy in Finland or somewhere had made to run on XP, along with a little circuit he designed you could tap into the ALDI (I think that is what it was called) and read engine data in real time on a laptop.  I did that a few times, it was kinda interesting, but reprogramming the computer was a very involved thing.  A newer 4bbl or a controllable throttle body injection system would probably be the thing to do if I ever do something with the engine.  As I recall it would get about 17 on the highway, about what the 96 Silverado and 2000 Suburban get.  Not a lot of progress in that aspect.

--FT