dave walton wrote:
> In my case, the pinging/nailing was corrected by replacing the injectors.

I had a VW that started nailing badly on one cylinder after a head
gasket job.  I took the injectors to a shop and had them all pop tested.
 All were worn out to one degree or another, so I bought a rebuilt set.
 The reduction in noise and smoke was remarkable.

I suspect the injectors were worn to begin with, but that the nailing
was cause by dirt entering the system while I had it apart.  I didn't
cover the open ends of the injectors or lines after disconnecting them,
so grit could have blown in.

David Brodbeck
'83 300D Turbo