I know the german oaks are managed on a 400 year crop cycle.   I would not be surprised it the timber floors are kept clean.   My grandfather did.   I used controlled burning to clear the junk.   Oaks thrive on fire.  The state forester told me so.   From what I observed, I believe he was right.   Longleaf pines thrive on far too.