I put a Nordyne board in my Goodman about five years ago, because the timed
defrost drove me nuts. 90% of the time it defrosted when it didn't need it, and
in humid/foggy conditions it turned into a giant sno-cone before the time was
up.

The Rheem boards come with the sensors, my Nordyne board didn't, at least not
from the eBay seller I got it from. The problem with Rheem is their reversing
valves work backwards from everybody else, so if you want to put a Rheem demand
defrost control board in a heat pump that isn't Rheem/Ruud, you have to modify
the board or add relays to make it work properly.

You need the demand control board, the ambient temperature sensor, and the coil
temperature sensor. With demand defrost, it defrosts when the difference
between air temp and coil temp gets too big.

Now that propane is down around $1.20 again, the easy way to avoid defrosts is
to set my switchover temp to 35-40° so it never frosts up in the first place.
It still defrosts every 4 1/2 hours of running time, supposedly to return oil
to the compressor.

Mitch.