From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 6:51 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [MBZ] 82 300D-T running hot after acid flush

Hello All,

I recently did an acid flush and the car was running fine until a few
days after the flush.  The car now is running hotter than *before* the
flush. By that I mean getting to up over 100, which it has never done
before on such short trips. Prior to this if I would drive it very hard
for a while it would get to near this temp then shortly go back to 90. I
am thinking that perhaps the flush dissolved or dislodged a bunch of
stuff that now has somehow disabled my water pump ?

The water pump is rusty at the base, not far from the weep hole, that
seems unusual since the rest of the engine seems to have a nice layer of
oil on it.  I have been reading that one way to test for a bad water
pump is to hold the top radiator hose when the engine is warm and when
you release it you should feel water rushing through.  I tried that but
am not sure I can feel this.  The other indicator is to look at the weep
hole to check for water, I did not do this yet.

The water from the flush was very rusty, but it has been rusty every
time I have changed the coolant. A few months ago I put in a new
thermostat which helped the car run cooler.  I have also read that
overheating can come from a bad fan clutch, not sure what that is or how
to test for that.  I understand that I might also have a bad radiator
but I understand that one way to tell if you have a bad radiator is how
fast it drains, mine drains extremely fast, just pours out.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Dan Elliott
82 300D-T 93kmi