Nothing stops a train....except a dead transformer!

a few days ago the thermostat quit.  (figgered it out on Monday, a holiday.  NOT good)    Lights had been flickering, so I figgered the low volts fried the thermostat.  Pulled it off a few days ago. (Monday)  no volts at the thermostat.   So, up to the furnace.  Volts into the transformer, no volts out.   Hmmmm..... HVAC forums are like Dr Booth and the Klima relay.  "They NEVER fail"     Ooops!   I've had salvaged transformers for years and never needed one.   Well, they went up Nort. none here.  tried several places to buy a new one.  no dice.  Fleabay was about $20, HD was $35 but none in stock.   On Tuesday I went to Johnstone (HVAC supply) and paid $32 for a new one.   Ole one has spade terminals, 1/4 for high, 3/16 for low.   new one has wires.   Tried all over to find 3/16 male spade terminals to crimp on the wires.  No dice. tonight I decided to cut the low voltage terminals off the wires and use wire nuts on the low voltage side.

got it installed.  put the thermostat back on the wall.  It works! turned up the temp to make the furnace go on.

No heat!   What?

back up, looked at the board.  two flashes.

Restarted.   Igniter glowed, but no gaz.

reset, started again.  Same thing.   HmmmmI didn't hear or feel the gaz valve open or click.

look around..... On the gaz solenoid, there is a marking ON and OFF and a little black plastic stub.  Hmmmm....   Pushed the stub toward ON.   It moved!  Restarted:   Far in the hole!

Success!  Furnace is heating again.

Beware the 24v transformer on your furnace!  In spite of what the "experts" say, they DO burn out, and WILL leave you in the cold!

Fortunately the days here have been fairly warm.  Otherwise finding a transformer would have been a VERY HIGH priority!

This one was a trane, but the 24V thermostat is standard on all furnaces.