Jim Cathey is my new best friend.  Curse Jim.

Sorry, dude!

When he came over a few weeks ago, he was nice enough to want to check
Gump's trunk.  We found that there was a lake under the rubber and
trunk liner.  Lots of rusty looking stuff.  Thought I would wait until
summer when it got hot and dry to tackle that.

That stuff lurks.  Sneaks up on ya.

How in creation do I deal with the rusted through bit to join the stern
back to the rest of the car?  Can I have a panel made with the channel
and weld that in?  It would cover the access to the tank sender

The official way is to get a new trunk floor and have it welded in.
It can be surprisingly less expensive than you might think, or not.
Quotes can be extremely variable, I hit about six body shops before
I found the one that fixed the rust in the SL.  It got a new trunk
floor.  Well, part of one.  I bought the crash piece and the guy
cut it up to get what he needed out of it.  His price was
substantially less than half of anybody else's.  I suggest you
explore bodywork purveyors in the low-rent district, wherever
that is in your area.  Here, it was Hillyard.  I've had good
luck with auto repair labor in Hillyard.  Hungry, and inexpensive.
Last time was two weeks ago when I got the 240D's seat cover
repaired at an upholstery shop.

-- Jim