To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 300td timing chain issues

So, Look slike I would do this if I had access to the
tool....  The tool is like 189.00 and the timiming
chain is only 63.00  so geee.   can't justify buying
the tool..

If, it's like an old bike chain, no problem, but it
looks like this big double chain may be a bit more and
need the tool?  ANyone know where to dig one up in
Seattle?

Also, So... I swap this chain out and that re-synchs
the timeing, a quick valve clearence set and all is
well withthe engine? (seems strangly simple....)

These desiels are so much different then the gassers I
had before (this is my first deseil)...

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

It forces the stud material over in a brad-like
manner.  I managed to do it
without the special tool but the engine was
completely disassembled during
the rebuild and I was able to put the chain in a
vise where I could work on
it.  Then, I put the complete circular chain in
place.   I tried to get my
wife to take the chain to the dealer and pay them to
use the special tool to
brad the connnecting link over - didn't work - even
though she explained it
was needed for a *completely disassembled* engine
they refused saying it was
supposed to be installed *then* the connecting link
was to be assembled.  Oh
well, I found a way in spite of them.  ;-)

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 91 300D Turbo)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net
For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil
Weber Carb Stuff
http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs