and in the newer pumps (617 & 603 engines), lubed by engine oil  only - is
there rubber to be eaten by fuels like  biodiesel?

  Chris

Loren Faeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  " fill the pump with
>engine oil so it would displace any fuel/fuel-oil mix that had migrated
>into the oil reservoir."

My point is that if you use fuel that eats seals, these older pumps DO mix
fuel with the lube oil in the IP, so expect your seals to get eaten.

At 02:28 PM 4/7/2006, you wrote:
>Loren Faeth wrote:
> > Engine oil lubricating the IP is not true for OM 621 and at least some 615
> > engines.  Does anyone know where the cutoff was between the fuel
> lubricated
> > pumps and crankcase oil lubricated pumps?  I think it was mid 70s
> somewhere.
> >
> > My 66 engines are fuel lubricated.  My 81 240D is engine lubed.
>
>All Bosch injection pumps in Mercedes diesels are lubricated with engine
>oil - NOT fuel. The early ones (OM615/616 thru 1976) were NOT connected
>to the engine lubrication system, the later ones were connected, but
>engine oil was the lubricant in all of them.
>
>One of the maintenance points (job 800 '72-'80 Maintenance Manual) on
>the early ones was to unscrew the check plug and fill the pump with
>engine oil so it would displace any fuel/fuel-oil mix that had migrated
>into the oil reservoir.
>
>Marshall
>--
>           Marshall Booth (who doesn't respond to unsigned questions)
>        "der Dieseling Doktor" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84
>190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 151K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 212K, "Wulf"
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"

Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make  PC-to-Phone Calls using Yahoo!
Messenger with Voice.