Yes, it is supposed to be topped up with motor oil, but if you drain it at the top up intervals, you will find the lube is mostly fuel. Most of them never saw oil after they left the factory, or at least after the OE sold them. They are capable of running tens or hundreds of thousands of miles without addition of motor oil, because the fuel displaces the oil and they are fuel lubed then. We are splitting hairs here. Theory, vs. real world. Technically it is oil lubed, but in practice, there is a lot of fuel in there. It is designed so that if the oil gets low, the chamber is filled with fuel.

When ever I serviced the vacuum governed pump. i drained all the stuff in the IP case, then filled motor oil.

Yes, if the jobs are followed religiously, and when they were new, maybe most of the lube is oil, but fuel does get in there, and if it is a type that eats seals, you could loose the main seal of a 30 yr old pump, and then very likely ruin the pump. now that they are all 30-40 years old, they are worn, and more fuel mixes with the oil.

I am only wanting to put out a word of warning about putting snake oil in the tank. Do it as you wish guys, but be aware if you have a vacuum governed pump, don't be shocked if you have IP problems. Chris, since your AKP-Wagon is in sacrificial status, have a blast with anything that will go into the tank.

In practice, the seal may NEVER fail, with any kind of homebrew. There is also a diaphragm in the vacuum governor that could be affected by non-standard fuels. IN theory, yes, fuel never touches the diaphragm. But every one I have been into has petroleum products of some form in the diaphragm chamber.

ALL Bosch inline pumps have o-rings on the delivery valve body, even if it is on a Case tractor.

Have fun experimenting, but don't be shocked if your pump fails. The mechanically governed pumps are less likely to have a fuel -induced problem, because of the active motor oil lube system

At 03:00 PM 4/7/2006, you wrote:

On Apr 7, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Loren Faeth wrote:

> My 66 engines are fuel lubricated.  My 81 240D is engine lubed.
>
> Loren

        Aren't your earlier engines equipped with a pump that periodically
needs to be filled with motor oil?

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am