  Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 13:40:12 -0400
From: "BillR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [MBZ] generator ??
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Stopped by a garage sale and could not pass up an 8 hp  Homilite LR4400
generator - looks to be in good cosmetic shape,  for $25.  It does not
have
an owner's manual.  It does have the dreaded pull start Briggs &
Stratton
engine that I have had such a hard time starting in the past.  Do any
of you
have any comments about getting it started? I had planned to just give
it a
shot of ether.  My mechanic son is heading to the Middle East for some
months and won't be around to help until much of hurricane season is
over.
PO used it two years ago [area lot power for a week], had it serviced
at the
end of '04 and then did not start or use it for the '05 season [has
service
stickers from '99 & '04].  Full tank of gas seems to be ok, but I don't
know
how 'bad' gas smells or how long it will be okay [making the assumption
they
did not use a stabilizer  in it].  Also, as I don't seem to be able to
locate an owners manual for it, I am wondering how much a 4000kw unit
will
power.  I am interested in the water pump, a refrigerator and at best a
small window AC unit [probably switching between the AC and frig].  I
had
really wanted a diesel self starting unit but the price made me decide
try this one.
Thoughts appreciated.
BillR
Jacksonville FL