Dan Schriber wrote:
I have just purchased a 1982 300 CDT. When I shut the car off at the key it
runs on and on. Lately it will shut off when I open the driver's door
(coincidence or design?) or maybe it tires of me pushing the stop button
under the hood. Can anyone direct me to the cause and the fix of this
annoyance. Other then that I love the car.

If fooling with the doors/central locking has ANY effect on the engine shutting off, then it almost surely a leak in a vacuum diaphragm in the central locking system that's causing the problem.

Best approach is a diagram of the central locking system and a Mity Vac to track down which elements leak.

http://mb.braingears.com/123_DISK2/program/Chassis/80-902.pdf

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpo.asp

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)