A friend got in a crash this morning in her 2008 Volvo C30, that little hatchback coupe.  It was in pretty decent condition, she took pretty good care of it.  Whatever hit it dented in the passenger door and the panel right behind the door ahead of the rear wheel.  Looks like the side airbags deployed there.  Looks like the door might not open so that is an issue, but maybe it will.  She thinks the insco will total it, probably given it is 11yo although from a pic she sent me it might be sorta fixable in a redneck way to get the car usable.  Use the Gman's technique to pull things out a bit, maybe find a new door somewhere.

She just lost her job, so money is a big issue right now, another car might not be in the works.  I told her to see what the buyback might be after they (USAA) settle.  Worse comes to worst she could get the airbags replaced and just drive the thing for now, then think about getting the door sorta fixed at some point.  She drove it home, probably wasn't too far away, so it hasn't been hauled off yet.  I don't know if the airbags going off get the nannies upset at all?

I'll talk to her tomorrow, she is kinda rattled from the experience.  I told her we can work the payout and buyback, don't take their first offer.

--
--FT