I believe so. The original face plate has a small mark on the CCW side of the pin. I think that is the starting point for the pointer. At one time I lifted the needle over the stop and that little mark was where it sat. Can't remember if it was flat on it's back or sitting up in the dash orientation.

MG

Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
The biggest issue I’ve heard form people who have done this sort of
modification is getting the “rest” position correct. Apparently there is slight
pressure on the speedo need to keep it on the rest pin, and if that’s not right
it doesn’t indicate properly.

At least that’s what I recall from when I read some experiences from people who
did the backlit faces for SL500s, I think….

-D