In a message dated 4/9/2006 3:28:25 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Hi,  All.
OT question:- I have my daughters 97 Toyo Paseo, ( 1.5L 4 cyl  NA ) and it
smokes. When started cold it smokes like a mosquito control truck,  no visible
smoke when warm or on the highway. I have replaced the valve stem  oil seals,
lapped the valves reset the valve clearances and replaced the head  gasket,
small improvement.
My next brilliant thought is worn out or  stuck rings. My daughter used to
drive this car as if it were at Bonneville!
A small clue is all I seek, pretty  please?

Fred,

Some sort of diaphragm leak.  A mechanical fuel pump came to  mind, where one
side of the pump is exposed to the crankcase.  But a 97  anything is likely
to have fuel injection with an electric  pump.

How many miles to the quart of oil?  Maybe it's not engine oil!   Does it
have an automatic transmission?  If so, it could be ATF that is  being sucked
into the intake via the accumulator.

Good luck,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ