There's a u-toob vid of a self defense guy about using hornet / wasp
spray.  According to the vid, it is not effective.  Not fun, but won't
really stop a bad guy.  Not nearly as effective as real mace / pepper
spray.  He also warns that going cheap on your pepper spray is not smart.
Better quality products are well designed to be easy and accurate out to a
long distance, don't have as much risk that when you spray the perp you
will also disable yourself (mist won't come back onto you and into your
face), and they have a UV tracer that doesn't easily wash off, so cops can
ID the perp more easily.
Max
Charleston SC