On my '95 cabriolet, I cut apart the lock housing with a Dremel tool, because a
thief had pretty much destroyed the ignition lock and no way to get the key to
turn.

Once the dash parts around the steering column were removed, and the steering
column loosened so it dropped down to grant more access, the body of the lock
is pretty soft and I could easily cut it up so as to remove the switch.
Replaced steering column, switch, and tumbler.  Used parts work fine, except
for the tumbler.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC