A number of schools I attended had two classes for each grade through Jr. High.
 There was the dummy class and the bright kids.  Some occasional flow between
groups, I suspect to keep the dumb kids from figuring out just how limited
their prospects for higher education might be.  The same kids tended to pursue
more trades and skills classes in high school.  And made a good living in their
careers while the rest of us racked up college debt and were essentially
unemployable for a number of years after.

clay