I've found that ink lasts a good long time. I've even added a few drops of water when I thought it was too thick. I remember having a long handled pen it came with a desk set. One fountain and the other a ballpoint. They are long gone can't even think of when I saw them last.

MG

My mother used a long handled Shaeffer fountain pen, with green ink
exclusively for writing letters, etc. I still have a collection of various
colored inks in bottles, don't know if they are still good though.