What difference does that make if you have no reference point as to how far the temperature stick is in the container? At that point you might as well stick a coat hanger down there and say 'well there is fluid on the end so I must have the right amount in there.'

That said I can see how you can get a more exact measurement due to the temperature of the oil if the stick is made for the vehicle and is in the correct distance from the top of the tube.

MG

Clay Monroe via Mercedes wrote:
Not nonsense.  Jim had it.  The fluid expands with rising heat in a vessel of a
given volume.  Knowing the temperature of the fluid allows a person to gauge
how full up the millimeter stick said fluid has risen.  The wire is marked in
millimeters, so one needs know the x (temp) and y(volume) to see if you are on
the mark of proper level.  Thus the graph.

I did not make this up.  This is some Fiat Chrysler magic based on Daimler
pixie dust

clay