The boy did get the Dorman generic wire dipstick.  It is supposed to be
inserted until it hits bottom.  There is a ruler of sorts at the end of the
stick with demarcations in mm to clue you in as to how deep the ATF is.

The jeep was serviced in SEA 30 months ago and has put almost 9k miles on the
clock in that time.  Lots of tiny town ND trips.  I think he should swap fluid,
as the stuff never gets warm enough to burn off the condensation.

clay