In reality it doesn’t “bottom out” on the transmission oil pan. There is a
restriction at the end of the dip tube that prevents the dipstick from going
any farther down the tube due to a “bulge” in the black plastic part of the
dipstick.

That way you can’t insert it farther than it should go into the pan.

Be aware that there are dipsticks sold that *do* bottom out on the pan. Avoid
these.

For example:

http://katalog.orx.pl/img/9/Dipstickmercedescolor%20us.jpg

-D