Over the past year it is becoming more and more
difficult to start my 240D first thing in the morning.
 Different ambient temperature and plugging in the
block heater have not made a difference.

I have just recently looked into it and have replaced
the spin on fuel filter, cleaned the in line fuel
filter, replaced the injector fuel return hoses and
adjusted the valves all to no avail.

I will usually glow the car twice then turn it over
between 2-3 minutes for 45 seconds at a time.  While
this is going on a grayish cloud of semi burnt diesel
exits the tail pipe.  I have the new type manual fuel
pump and have pumped between 100-150 times before and
between attempts with no effect.

Now I am seeking the collected wisdom of the list.

Additional info -
I have the old style loop glow plugs.  The ones on the
vehicle are at least 7 years and 100K miles old.  Do
these degrade over time?

The starter seems to be turning the engine over fast
enough as it catches eventually, but it may be
original.  The Interstate battery is two years old.
If it was compression I would think I'd see increased
oil consumption but am still using "only" 1 quart per
1k miles.  Most of these miles between 75-80 mph.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated, outside of
selling the vehicle.

Thanks,
Fred Johnson
1977 240D