I always said tars are the best insurance you can buy.   (yeah, I've broken my "rule" too)  That is why I bought michelins made in france in 1972, and why I refuse to buy them (made in USA) now.  I look for tires with good adhesion and reasonable treadwear (40-50k rated)  Almost every Merkun made tar has slipped belts.  Other than michelins, I've never had a yurpeen made tar slip belts.  This is true across big three and german made vehicles.

I have recently purchased Nokian Entyre and and Entire 2 (Made in Russia) and Barum (continental made in yurp in old molds) and just now, conti contact Pro (Generals made in USA) because they no longer have Barum.   I shoulda just ordered more nokians.  Simpletire sells nokians and mounting at a local store.   Discounttiredirect.com used to sell the Barum.

After the jokohamas caused $2500 damage to the 300TE, I lost whatever stomach I had for asian tars. (pretty little)

I won't use cheap crap tars, nor will I pay through the nose for bad year, BF, michelin, dunlop, continental (US= general) and such brand name tars.   If I can't find a yurpeen tar, I will buy coopers again.   The belts slip, but i've gotten reasonable mileage out of them before the belts slip (about 2 yrs, 40k miles)