Kevin,
When pleats are made into seat covers, it is done by sewing 3 layers of
material at the same time.
Top layer: the upholstery cloth you see.
Middle layer: Foam or the chosen material [ie horse hair layer, etc.]
Bottom layer: Usually a sort of light weight canvas type material of some
sort.

When the stitching is done, in long evenly spaced rows, the stitch line
pulls down the middle layer which gives the "Pleated look".
In your case, if the "Pleat is dead" the foam or other material has
collapsed.
To restore the pleats, it is necessary to remove the seat cover, remove the
cushion section [seam ripper, industrial size], remove the backing
material, [again, careful seam ripping to preserve the outer material...
THEN...
Make a new stack, with new padding, and faithfully follow the exact seam
line in the outer material, THEN, re-assemble the side panels and then
re-install the repaired and refreshed seat cover..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJBaXSRW2Y8  Basics on a youtube video...