As a refresher this is the $300 91 350SD I picked up that the PO said engine was hydrolocked.  Ran fine when parked at work then when they came out it would not turn over. I put breaker bar on crank and it would not turn forward or reverse.  Engine is very clean and has plenty of oil in it.  Oil looks like normal diesel oil, not fresh oil that might have been added after it was ran dry.  I pulled the valve cover and chain is not broken and nothing is going on up top.

Today I removed all of the injectors.  #1 was somewhat oily on the bottom.  The rest were dry.  After pulling the injectors engine is still locked tight.  I then removed the vacuum pump suspecting it exploded.  It was the original style but appears to be intact so I do not think that was the issue.

I do not think it was ran out of oil because it has oil in it. The PO did mention IIRC that it was using oil and/or coolant. Maybe it flooded with coolant then rusted the pistons.  Or, maybe the #1 rod broke and that locked it up.  In any case, it appears an engine tear down or swap is in its future.

---
https://www.avg.com