Best way to adjust the Bowden cable is to remove the cap from the ball, pull on
the cable until you feel resistance, and see if the cap on the cable lines up
over the ball on the linkage. If it doesn’t, carefully turn the threaded
adjusting but on the cable jacket end to move the cable so it lines up over the
ball.

In other words, with the slack taken out of the cable, the cap on the end of
the cable should fit directly over the ball without moving the cable.

Be careful turning the adjusting nut, as they can often stick or bind due to
dirt and aging of the plastic. You see a lot of them broken these days, either
from age or mishandling. If it’s broken, the only fix is replacement of the
cable, not a fun job.

-D