> Curley wrote:

> SWMBOs 2011 i5 MBP is running el crap (10.11).   When she opens
> an email in gmail web client on safari, the reply button is
> greyed out.  If she composes a new email in the gmail web app,
> when she tries to send it the  gmail web app just spins and says
>
> To me the send problem seems like a DNS problem.  There is no
> settings for dns in the web client that I can find, and since it
> is spyoogle's web app, they set all the dns settings.

Domain name resolution is not the job of the browser, or any other
client software. It is part of the system "network stack".  If
using a name in the URL bar works, then it is finding a DNS - but
it's possible that a particular server won't resolve a particular
name.  Usually the DNS is handed out by DHCP as part of getting an
IP address - but often it can be set manually. Maybe change the
DNS (somewhere in network settings) to 8.8.8.8, which is Google's
domain name server.   Or OpenDNS, which is 208.67.222.222

> One solution might be to put a newer OS on the computer, but I
> am reluctant to do that.  (new OS generally means poorer
> performance as the OS is bloated more with each release.)

What about a different browser?  Safari isn't the only choice.
Chrome, Chromium, Oprah, Firefox...

> Here are my questions:

I have no answers to any of these....