Pulled the W211 CDI into the garage yesterday to inspect the two bubbly
injectors and possibly replace glow plugs.

Couldn’t get the injector out, so I installed a new hold down stretch bolt and
moved on. Injector slide hammer tool is on the way from the Island of Large
Wimmen for later in the week.

Glow plugs were questionable as was the glow plug controller. Rather than take
any chances, I got a complete set of new Beru glow plugs and have had the son
fill their recesses with Kroil every day when he gets home from school.

This approach yielded excellent results, as the old glow plugs came out with
little to no effort. Nice! New ones went in with antiseize on the threads and
were torqued to spec.

Glow plug controller is toast. Mercedes has sold a reman for about $240 my
cost, but there weren’t any in Paragon but some at other dealers. Rather than
have my parts guy call around and haggle with other dealers, I found the new
OEM (Beru) part online for around $214.00, so I went with that. Should be here
in a day or two.

Son says glow plug is leaking worse now, but not bad, maybe a few drops of
stuff coming out. I didn’t wail on the hold down bolt as I didn’t have a torque
wrench that would measure that low (7 nm) so I sort of swagged it. Got an
adapter for my little beam wrench coming, too.

I’m going to have him park the car when he comes home tonight and drive my car
until we have everything on hand to effect the repairs.

This car has been a bit of PITA since bringing it home, but the stuff it needs
isn’t a big deal. Son says his first tank of fuel was averaged over 40 mpg for
mixed city/highway. Not bad.

-D