None of this technology is outdated and much of it is still in use.

Nickel-cadmium battery banks are still in use in the communications and standby
power industries.

Motor generators, also known as “MG sets” are still in service for mainframe
computers. In fact, IBM was one of the largest users of MG sets for decades.
They consisted of a large electric motor, a flywheel, and a generator all
coupled together. The motor and generator faced each other with the flywheel on
the connecting shaft in between. The main reason these have been in use for
such a long time is that they also provided power conversion, that is, the
generator was a 400 Hz generator, so the unit as a whole not only provided
standby power (known as “ride through”) for the few seconds it took to bring a
generator or UPS online, but it also provided frequency conversion for the
computer power supplies.

-D