May give that a try or some of that two part putty. Just for a temp fix.

Floyd Thursby via Mercedes wrote:
I had a pinhole in the bottom of the tank on my 75 Grand Prix back in college, I stopped by a shop one day and an old mech told me to rub a bar of soap on the hole to stop the leak, deal with it later. I'd do that every now and then and it worked for quite awhile. I finally took it to a shop and they took it off and drained it, etc. and soldered over the hole, or brazed it or something. Whatever it was worked.

Reminds of an experience when I was about 14 or so. Was riding my bike on a fairly busy street, cars going by. I hear this godawful noise and look over and see this big gas tank skidding along the street behind this old station wagon. Gas sloshing out all over the street, I'm thinking that thing is gonna spark and blow the hell out of me. The old wagon coasts to a stop, the gas tank stops with no further drama, the woman gets out of the car and says, "I think I lost my gas tank." Uh yeah looks like it. I felt bad for her but it was pretty funny, all things considered.

--FT