While I think that some of you are grossly exaggerating the effect of an HOA, I
fully understand the desire to have no restrictions on the use of your
property. In my case I prefer to know that my property value will be protected
if not enhanced by the presence of an HOA, and in order to achieve this I’ll
gladly comply with community standards in place for my community.

And it’s also clear that there is a misunderstanding of how HOAs work. As an
FYI, rules or standards can’t be established arbitrarily, they have to be voted
on and approved by 2/3 of the ownership in my community. With over 250
properties, it’s a struggle to get 50% to respond to a proxy mailing much less
get a majority. They also can’t conflict with laws covering ownership or Fair
Housing laws, too. In other words, Jim’s paranoia about defining who can live
in the house is simply misguided and wrong.

In my community the “rules” as it were pertain mainly to things like house
paint and roofing colors, landscaping and some basic land use. The County has
ordinances covering things like occupancy and use, that's well beyond an HOA’s
responsibilities.

Again, to each his or her own. I have chosen to live in a suburban community
that has standards in place to maintain and enhance property value, as that’s
important to me.

-D