And here is an example of inappropriate control in an HOA.

Our design criteria is clearly defined as far as materials and construction,
much of which is dictated by County ordinance, not HOA bylaws. The president
doesn’t have a say in things like this, they’re addressed by the ACC
(architectural control committee) who approves or denies applications for such
things solely on compliance with community standards and nothing else. Our
president may not like something, but that’s their tough beans as they have no
say in matters as an individual Board member.

That being said, since your patio/deck cover is in the rear of the home and not
visible from the street, we wouldn’t much care what/how you did it as long as
it was in compliance with County codes, which is between you and the County.

This is an example where a properly run HOA doesn’t get intrusive.

-D