If we do it’s a state government thing, not Federal.

Most states, much as Grant described, allow the lien holder to hold the title
until the lien is satisfied. Once it is, the title is sent to the State, where
the lien release is recorded and a clear title is issued to the owner. If the
lien is satisfied as a function of a sale, such as the car being traded in, for
example, the lien holder can fill out the back of the title and satisfy the
lien release to clear the title.

-D