We just returned from a trip to see the BB-64, BB-55,  CV-10 (Yorktown) and the USS Laffey.   In May we went to the BB-61 and the CV-41 (Midway)  and April, BB-60.  All very impressive!

USS Iowa  BB-61  I believe was released from "reserve" status for active duty this past summer.   It was on a special deal where it was "retired", and a museum but could be recalled by the Navy.   It is in San Pedro (LA) CA.   They are planning to move it and build a park/museum around it with other ships.   Send Money $$$ or $$$$ to help replace the teak deck. USS New Jersey BB-62 is a museum ship in Jaime's territory.   He really should go through it if he has not done so. USS Missouri, BB-63 Is a museum in Pearl Harbor.   I believe it is either under control of the Navy, or in some joint agreement with a foundation. USS Wisconsin, BB-64 is a museum in Norfolk, at a museum called Nauticus.   We were told the USN runs the museum.   They make it difficult to find your way to the BB-64. Its teak deck was replaced in the 87-88 refit, but the teak is not being taken care of.   Shameful!

All four Iowa class ships were refitted to burn Diesel.   They have very little smell of bunker fuel.    But it is still there in some places.

USS Alabama, BB-60 is a museum in Mobile.   Below the deck, the force is still very strong with her.   (Smell of Bunker fuel)

USS North Carolina  BB-55 is in Wilmington, NC as a museum.   She is a special ship, among special ships.   She's been a museum long enough that the smell of Bunker is not that strong.   THey'ce cut out a number of knee knockers, so she is more accommodating for old knees.   Someone has been holystoning the forward part of the teak deck.

USS Texas  BB-35 is 106 years old.   She is moored in the Houston Ship Channel and has been a museum since 1947 or so.

The Main turrets on the Iowa are not open.  At least one main turret on the Alabama and Wisconsin are open to go inside. BB-55 through BB-64 all have 16 inchers, but the Iowa class has longer barrels and longer range.

Each Projectile on the Iowa class Big guns is backed by 6 bags of black powder, each weighing 110 lb.   Each turret on the North Carolina takes i believe 47 people to run.    77 to 94 people are needed on the Iowa class to run one turret.   one 16 incher on the Iowa weighs 267,900 lbs.   One Iowa class turret weighs as much as one complete WWII era destroyer.
Meade Dillon via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 6, 2020 at 4:22 PM
Sadly they are either floating museums or in mothballs again, and I do
believe they are no longer viable to be recalled back into service. They
were enormously expensive to operate (steam plants burning bunker oil, and
any casualty to the propulsion plant would pretty much require custom
fabrication of replacement parts) so after the evil empire fell apart, the
Navy was eager to retire them as quickly as they could. Tragedy on the
Iowa hastened retirement.

Max
Charleston SC

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 4:58 PM archer75--- via Mercedes <