It could be because of satellite position.
GPS [I believe it still does] relies on signal from 3 satellites to
establish it's coordinates.
It could have been a situation where one or more of the needed signals were
over the horizon and your Dash GPS was not getting coordinate information
to do it's internal calculations. Temporary triangulation  loss.