Larry,

Your "dream MB" does exist - Mercedes built it for sale in Europe.
It's the W140.135, which is a W140 chassis with a 177hp intercooled,
turbocharged OM606.961 engine (similar to what the 98-99 E300 has here
in the USA). I would seriously consider buying one if I ever found a
clean example for sale on this side of the pond. They're very rare in
the USA, I think just a handful came over, imported by diplomats or
executives. Pretty sure it was badged the "S300", not to be confused
with the rodbending 300SD, 350SDL, or S350.

=)

-Dave M.