Yeah. By the time you have a custom exhaust, intake, two turbos,
wastegates, a hot injection pump, an 87 wagon with a transplanted '99 606
and interior from a 95, with a fully rebuilt rear suspension with half
shafts, new sls, 500e/600sl brakes, a 500e master and a dual diaphragm
vacuum booster from an r129, rebuilt wavetrac diff, 16x8 15 hole wheels,
new dash and vacuum actuators, new wheel bearings, new front suspension,
facelift hood and fenders, new headlights from Latvia, matte black paint,
repaired rear quarter window sill rust, new factory door seals, new
headliner, new AC everything, 500e front seats with new leather covers and
transplanted non memory motors and seat bases, new heater core blah blah
blah, you are sort of over the economic arguments for and against the car.
If it needs new rod bearings at some point, it will likely get forged rods
and 16:1 pistons also. Doubling rated power output is always going to have
a price. So does driving a fully updated stock w124 of any type.